Sports in Brief

Men win 5 events, women win 1

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville track teams competed through rainy conditions en route to bringing back six wins from the Austin May Invitational at University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.

Senior sprinter Aaron Hrubes won the 100-meter dash with a 10.74 second performance after qualifying for the finals with a 10.73 in the preliminaries.  Hrubes helped in the men’s 4×100-meter relay team win (41.69 seconds).  Junior T.J. Valley posted 14.69 seconds, winning the 110-meter hurdles race.  In the field events, senior Andrew Kissner won the high jump, clearing 6-2 3/4, and sophomore Mark Neimann won the javelin event with a throw of 200 feet.

The women’s team sole win came on the strength of junior Lynea Axelson’s two-minute, 20-second win of the 800-meter dash.

The Pioneers compete this weekend in the UW-Platteville Invitational, the team’s lone home event this season.  The meet begins at 11 a.m. on Saturday.

Baseball’s losing streak hits 12

After being swept by the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, the Pioneers baseball team’s skid that started in late March reached 12 games.

The Pioneers were outscored 32-10 in the four-game sweep, including a 14-3 blowout loss in the second game of the double header April 5.

The losses brought the Pioneers’ record to 5-12, 0-3 in the WIAC.  The Pioneers begin a home stand this weekend with a pair of double headers against the University of Wisconsin-Superior on Saturday and Sunday.  Games are at noon and 3 p.m. both days.