Pioneer soccer loses 4-0, wins 9-0

The Pioneers’ women’s soccer team suffered a 4-0 loss to Loras College on Sept. 4 at Ralph E. Davis Pioneer Stadium.

The first half of the game was back and forth, with neither team able to dominate the ball.

After 22 minutes in, Loras pushed the ball down the field and senior Jaclyn Tumberger assisted the ball to sophomore Katie Truesdale five yards out from the goal.

Truesdale booted it in past Pioneer junior goalie, Jade Jandt, for the first score of the game.

From that point forward, Loras took control.

The visitors were able to put six shots on goal during the first period, while the Pioneers were held to only one.

Minutes remained in the half and neither side was able to capitalize on any more possessions, leaving the halftime score at 1-0.

Within the first ten minutes of the second half, Loras scored their second goal on a shot from junior, Danielle Vujovic, and from that point forward, the Pioneers seemed out of sync, fighting to stay in the game.

The Pioneers were able to create opportunities with open fast breaks, as well as a free shot in front of the goal from a foul committed by Loras; however, they missed the goal on each opportunity.

Shortly after, another ball made it through the Pioneers’ defense for the third goal, and with 20 minutes left, the fourth and final goal was tacked on.

The Pioneers attempted just 5 total shots, while Loras was able to penetrate deep into Pioneer territory, issuing 17 total shots.

“We played well the first half and stuck to the game plan,” head coach Allison Stringer said.  “The girls came out and got frazzled after the first goal in the first ten minutes of the second half.  The biggest thing is finishing our opportunities.  It’s not like they weren’t there.  We just need to finish.”

Junior defender Lindsey Harms had a similar feeling towards what needed to be done in order to improve the Pioneers’ play.

“We need to keep doing what we’re doing,” Harms said.  “We know what we did wrong and what we need to do to improve: work on our offense, create opportunities and finish the ones we had.”

Although the loss was disheartening for the team, the distinct strength of the team is a core of  seniors that the players can utilize continuing on with their season.

One of those seniors is forward, and last week’s WIAC Player of the Week, Sarah Eck.

“We’re very spread out with our returning seniors, which helps with the experience and knowing who to get the ball to.  We’ve been playing together for so long.”

The Pioneers righted the ship over the weekend, blowing out Lakeland College 9-0.

Eight Pioneers scored in the match, with freshman Yamilex Jaramilo scoring the first two goals.

Aurora College provides the next test for UW-Platteville, beginning at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday.