Runners prepare for Roy Griak Invite

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville men’s cross country team took second place on Saturday at the Beloit Olde English Style Invite in Beloit, Wis. to continue their already successful 2013 season.

Coming off of a first place finish at the Warhawk Invite in Whitewater last weekend, the men’s team looked to be just as competitive in Beloit, even without their top 10 runners.

Those men held out of the meet will prepare to compete in the Griak Invitational at the University of Minnesota on Sept. 28.

“Griak is our biggest, most competitive meet until championship season,” junior Sam Poser said, who earned a third place finish in Whitewater.  “It includes most of our main competition from the WIAC as well as many talented individuals.”

As for the Beloit Olde Style Invite, ran by the rest of the members of the men’s team, it was essential to get some experience under the younger runners’ belts.

“The Beloit Olde Style English Invitational is different because it actually has obstacles, such as small streams and hay bales, to avoid when running,” Poser said.  “It’s a replication of the old English style of cross country.”

Continuing the team’s momentum is the main concern for the team.

“To keep our momentum, a big thing is to avoid injuries.  Nothing takes the wind out of a team’s sails like losing individuals for a whole season due to injuries sustained in the early season,” Poser said.

Junior Evan Morgan came in ninth place with a 28:45 finish, followed by sophomore Nick Wagner in 10th with a time of 28:50.

On the women’s side, sophomore Teagan Seneczko finished with a team-leading 22:00 time, equating to 17th place in the meet.

Soon after, freshman Jennifer Bajorek crossed the finish line in 27th place with a time of 22:43.

Looking ahead, the Pioneers will run in the aforementioned Griak Invite, one of the most prestigious races of the cross country season, on Saturday.

Women’s teams will start at 9 a.m. and men’s teams will begin at 10:45 a.m.