Women split weekend games at Superior, Viterbo

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville women’s soccer team picked up its first conference win last Saturday, defeating the University of Wisconsin-Superior 7-0, but falling to Viterbo 4-0 on Sunday, bringing its season record to 5-4, 1-0 WIAC.

In the week leading up to the games, the Pioneers focused on watching film to fix any mistakes they saw early on in the season.

“We are a very visual team this year,” head coach Allison Stringer said.  “It helps a lot to see it, then we can fix it.”

The strength of the Pioneers this season has been their defense, and that was on display Saturday, shutting out the Yellowjackets and allowing just two shots on the goal during the match.

The goalkeeping tandem of junior Jade Jandt and freshman Mandy Taylor directed the Pioneers’ defense to its fifth shutout of the year.

“Our defensive line is very solid this year.  They’re the strongest unit we’ve got,” Stringer said.

Freshman Yamilex Jaramillo stood out on the offensive end, assisting on the first and third goals of the game, as well as scoring the second.

Junior Lindsey Harms also scored and assisted on a goal, both coming midway through the second half.

However, it was a different story Sunday against Viterbo, as the defense let up an early goal and the offense never recovered.

The V-Hawks scored three goals in the first half and UW-Platteville was outshot 8-2.

Viterbo scored in the 89th minute of the second half, finishing the day’s scoring.

The Pioneers have their next five games at Ralph E. Davis Pioneer Stadium and will look to improve on their 2-3 home record.

While the team is hovering around the .500 mark, Stringer is pleased with the way the team interacts on and off the field.

“Our chemistry is unbelievable this year.  You don’t get that often with female teammates,” Stringer said.  “This year is totally different with our players and how they get along and play together.”
The Pioneers look to keep their undefeated in-conference record intact on Saturday with a matchup against the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.