Hockey Club eyeing repeat

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville Hockey Club is back on the ice after their most successful season in club history.

After an overall record of 17-5-3 and a Mid-America Collegiate Hockey Association Silver Conference championship last season, the team is eager to be just as successful this year.

So far this season, the Pioneers have split a series with the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh Titans and swept the Bradley Braves in a two-game set, putting the Pioneers at 3-1 on the year.

Similar to last year, the team is divided into a Blue team and an Orange team.

“Both teams are registered American Collegiate Hockey Association Division III teams, which means that they both have a chance to go to Nationals,” head coach Adam Nelson said.

“Realistically, we are trying to keep the Blue team as the main team in an effort to bring a national championship to UW-Platteville.  However, we have a lot of skilled players on the Orange team playing hard and getting better every single game.”

Nelson has high expectations for the Blue team as well.

“I want us to finish at the top of the MACHA Silver West division, win the MACHA Silver Conference championship for the second straight year, qualify for Regionals or attain an auto-bid to Nationals,” Nelson said.

“Essentially, I have the expectation that we will be playing in the ACHA Division III National Tournament in Coral Springs, Fla., March 11-15, 2014.”

Although past performance does not guarantee future success, the team is bringing back essentially the same group and adding a handful of very talented players.

“We should be able to recreate what we accomplished last year if we put in the work,” Nelson said.

The team has a few upperclassmen that are no strangers to leadership.

Seniors Riley Zehner and Elias Motz, junior Ryan Struck and sophomore Andy Behrend are important aspects of the success of the Pioneers.

“Not only are they the physical leaders of the team, they are the motivational leaders of the team on-ice and off-ice as well,” Nelson said.

Fans will have the chance to catch the Pioneers at their home arena, the Mystique Ice Center in Dubuque, Iowa, eight times this season.

The team will head to the Albert Lea City Arena in Albert Lea, Minn., on Friday Oct. 11 to face-off against Waldorf College.

Full rosters, schedules, apparel available for purchase and membership information can be found at www.uwphockey.com.