Volleyball continues hot streak with two conference wins

Jeremy Williamson
Senior Stephanie Kirchner and junior LeeAnn Mizgalski team up for a block in the second set against University of Wisconsin-River Falls. The Pioneers tallied 59 blocks in two games last week.

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville volleyball team’s powerful blocks helped them cruise past the University of Wisconsin-River Falls 3-1 (25-19, 25-17, 20-25, 25-14) at Williams Fieldhouse on Friday, Oct. 25.

Recording a season-high 29 blocks, the Pioneers took care of business in four sets. Freshman Lidia Frias recorded nine blocks, while senior Stephanie Kirchner, junior LeeAnn Mizgalski and freshman Amber Williams each added three to the count.

After being out for three weeks with an illness, Mizgalski’s return on Friday looked as if she had not missed a beat.

“It feels so great to be back,” Mizgalski said, who recorded six kills in the first set that helped push the Pioneers to a 25-19 victory. “It’s just exhilarating, like falling in love with the sport all over again.”

In the second set, the Pioneers pulled away with the help of three kills by Mizgalski and another by Kirchner. Frias delivered the set winner, ending it at 25-17, giving the Pioneers a two set lead.

With ten errors and only eight kills by the Pioneers, the Falcons took the third set 25-20, but the Pioneers quickly gained momentum back in the fourth, taking the set and the match 25-14.

“Our blocking really helped our momentum going into game four,” head coach Deb Schulman said. “We were a little uptight in game three, so we just told them to relax and play their game, and they did that and were successful.”

Mizgalski ended the night with 15 kills, while Kirchner totaled a game-high 16 kills. Frias recorded nine kills, and freshman Lindsey Decker powered the defense with 19 digs.

“We really had to come together and play as a team, and we did that,” Mizgalski said.

The Pioneers continued to display their dominant blocking on Saturday, outlasting the University of Wisconsin-Stout in five sets (25-11, 18-25, 25-12, 17-25, 15-10).

UW-Platteville tallied 30 block assists and two solo blocks in the match.

Kirchner led the Pioneers in kills with 18, sophomore Jennifer Schmidt chipped in 14 and Mizgalski added 11 in the match.

With the fifth set tied 8-8, Schulman called a timeout, which seemed to focus her team, putting them on track for the win, which was capped off by an ace from junior Haley Jansen.

UW-Platteville will begin WIAC Tournament play Tuesday, Nov. 5.