Eck gives Pioneers 2-1 Senior Day win

Shelby LeDuc
Pioneer women’s soccer senior Sarah Eck (10) scored two goals on Senior Day against University of Wisconsin-Stout Nov. 2. It was Eck’s second match in a row with two goals. She was named WIAC Offensive Player of the Week for the second consecutive week and third time this year.

A successful Senior Day for the University of Wisconsin-Platteville women’s soccer team Nov. 2 propelled the team into the WIAC Championship tournament, its first conference tournament appearance since 2010.

The Pioneers took a 2-1 win over University of Wisconsin-Stout at home, and the seniors could not be more pleased.

“We had an awesome game today; we really wanted this win. We definitely played for our seniors today,” senior Cassie Blatz said. “I am super excited to go to conference. I’m so proud of this team; we worked really hard this season and overcame a lot, so we deserve it.”

Senior Sarah Eck scored two goals in the first half, her second consecutive two-goal performance.

Eck lofted a ball over the Blue Devil goalkeeper off an assist from fellow senior Emily Ryan and five minutes later, she beat the goalie again on a breakaway set up by freshman Katelyn Winther.

UW-Stout scored in the second half, leaving the final score 2-1.

“After the game, we gave them each a collage poster of the team, their old orange jersey, and then we decorated Mason jars that had special notes to the seniors in them,” junior Maddie Hughes said.

Junior Meghan Macy also played this game as a senior, as it will be her last season on the UW-Platteville women’s soccer team.

“I’m really excited to go to the conference tournament. It hasn’t happened here for a long time,” Macy said. “We are hitting our kick at the right time, and I couldn’t be more proud.”

Head coach Allison Stringer said this year’s senior class has been one of the best she has seen.

“They owned the team. They said, ‘We are having a good season this year, and if you’re not on board, get out.’ Their teammates think the world of them and I think the world of them,” Stringer said. “I’m so proud of them for hanging in for four years and having a good, last season.”

The Pioneers, the fifth seed, fell to fourth-seeded University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Tuesday 3-1 in the first round of the WIAC Championship Tournament.

UW-Platteville fell behind 1-0 in the third minute of the game and was unable to contain the aggressive attack of the Blugolds as UW-Eau Claire tacked on another goal before halftime.

The Blugolds scored once more late in the second half before allowing Winther to score the first goal of her Pioneer career.

UW-Platteville finished the season with an overall record of 9-9-1.