Women’s basketball retooled, has better attitude

After+a+5-20+season+in+2012-13%2C+the+Pioneer+womens+basketball+team+has+focused+some+of+their+efforts+on+improving+team+chemistry.+
Shelby LeDuc
After a 5-20 season in 2012-13, the Pioneer women’s basketball team has focused some of their efforts on improving team chemistry.

A young group of players look to be the catalysts for a major turnaround after a 2012-13 season that saw the Pioneer women’s basketball team go 5-20 overall and 1-15 in conference play.

With a new attitude, three returning starters and two promising transfers, the team is aiming high for the 2013-14 season.

“We are more excited about this season than in previous years, and we really believe we can do big things this year. The players are meshing well; they look real good as a team and we all feel confident going into the season,” Wilson said.

The Pioneers graduated three seniors from the squad last year, including all-conference guard Elizabeth Lawinger, who averaged 10.5 points per game and led the team in steals (57 total/2.3 per game), assists (82 total/3.3 per game), three-pointers (35) and attempted field goals (261).

They will also look to replace the loss of point guard Claire Poad, who was second to Lawinger in almost every statistic.

Looking to replace Poad as the facilitator will be Rachel Cropp, a five-foot, six-inch junior from Verona.

Cropp played in all 25 games last year, averaging 1.7 assists per game and racking up 15 three-pointers.

“Claire was a huge loss for us definitely, but there’s no doubt that Rachel Cropp will step in and be the leader out on the court for us. They say that the point guard is a direct extension of the head coach out on the court, and Rachel, being a little more vocal than Liz, will fit that role well,” Wilson said.

Cropp has her own goals, but more importantly, she is looking forward to leading the team and putting up numbers in the win column rather than on the stat sheet.

“Everyone wants to be all-conference; I want to be a good role model for the team. I’m just looking to be a leader; whether that means scoring a lot or having just as many assists, it doesn’t really matter to me. I just want to make a difference for my team,” Cropp said.

One of the returning starters is Richland Center native junior forward Alyssa Krajco, who will look to remain a dominant presence in the post and continue to be the rebounding leader for the Pioneers.

Krajco led the team in rebounding (128 total/5.1 per game) and tied Lawinger for the scoring lead, while starting in all 25 contests.

“I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people this year, and I think that we will finish in the top of the conference,” Krajco said.

Barneveld native and guard Melissa Carmody, the lone senior on the Pioneers’ team, feels the same.

“We are all very excited about this year. It’s an entirely different team from last year with a different attitude. We’re expecting to do much better than we did last year, and the overall attitude is just better,” Carmody said.

Carmody played in 24 games last year, averaging 5.2 points and 2.7 rebounds per game.

As the only senior on a team full of young potential and a few prospective transfers, Carmody is ready to step into a leadership role.

“I try to be someone they can look up to and be a role model, but I still try to hang out with them and encourage them. I just want to go out with a good year. A winning season is mainly what I am looking forward to,” Carmody said.

The team also welcomes new faces this season, including junior forward Stacy Clark, who is transferring from NCAA Division II Maryville University (Mo).

Wilson said she is excited about Clark and believes she can play a big role in this newly developing program.

The Pioneers begin their year with the Edgewood Tournament, playing against Dubuque on Nov. 16 and against Loras Nov. 17.