Bohm captures Knox Invite title

Sophomore Mason Bohm led the University of Wisconsin-Platteville wrestling team by winning the 141-pound bracket at the Knox College Invitational on Nov. 9 in Galesburg, Ill., to kick off the team’s season.

“It was my first tournament win. I took second place last year at this tournament, so I felt pretty good heading into the tournament. It was a pretty cool feeling to win the championship match this year,” Bohm said.

Bohm’s first match to start the day was an 8-0 decision over Wheaton’s Gage Burt.

He continued the day with three pins, which put him into the finals.

Bohm won the championship match with a 7-6 decision over Wheaton’s Jared Fekete.

“I felt I had a good chance if I wrestled my best and did not make too many mistakes,” Bohm said.

“Mason Bohm really came out and wrestled well,” Pioneer head coach Chris Walter said. “The young guys showed some promise, but I’ll need to make some adjustments.”

Other Pioneer wrestlers, some competing in their first collegiate tournament, showed promise at the Knox Invite as well.

Sophomore 184-pounder Dylan DeShane worked his way to a fourth-place finish.

He was pinned in his first match of the day by top-seeded competitor Thomas Reyhons from Augustana.

DeShane followed up the defeat by winning three straight matches to get into the third-place match.

Senior Austin Holland took third place in the 174-pound bracket after going 3-1 on the day.

Freshman heavyweight Kyle Andreae won his first match, upsetting third-seeded Steven Nyugen from MSOE.

In the second round matches, Andreae earned his first collegiate pin, finishing the day in sixth place.

The Pioneer wrestling team hits the road for a dual against Augustana this Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.

Check next week’s Exponent for a full recap.