Track team shines at home invitational

Jeremy Williamson

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville track and field team hosted an invitational meet that consisted of 14 teams and over 500 athletes at William’s Fieldhouse, Feb. 15.

Sophomore Alyssa Iserman placed first in the women’s high jump with 1.70 meters, making a strong, initial impact on the meet for the Pioneers.

“I went in with a goal of tying the school record, but I ended up breaking and setting a new school record. I couldn’t be happier,” Iserman said.

Junior Caitlin Thompson took second place with her jump of 1.67 meters, while junior Emily Kjos earned first place with a jump of 5.10 meters for the women’s long jump.

Kjos expressed immense appreciation for the team’s support system, coach’s encouragement and the team’s overall performance at the end of the meet, focusing on future motivational measures.

“This gives us a little more motivation to compete harder,” Kjos said. “The best parts about track and field are breaking personal records and being surrounded by awesome teammates,” Kjos said.

Junior Kelly Provancher placed third with a 4.95-meter jump.

Freshman Amber Williams earned first place for women’s triple jump at a length of 11.65 meters, setting a new record for UW-Platteville.

Williams found success again later in the meet, taking third place in the 400-meter dash with a time of 1:01.09 and placing second for the 200-meter dash with a final time of 26.57.

In order to prepare for her performance on the track, Williams watched “Usain Bolt: The Movie” for more inspiration.

“All I really focused on was improving, but getting the victory and winning it is just the icing on the cake,” Williams said.

Junior Joel Walden finished first in the men’s 5,000-meter run for the Pioneers with a time of 15:22.84.

In the women’s 4×200-meter relay, the team of freshman Krysta Parson, sophomore Carly Willman, junior Kelsey Reed and junior Jessica Jentz finished first at 1:47.62.

The men’s 4×200 meter relay team (sophomores Mitchell Dowell, Brandon Navin and Caleb Mertens and senior Brad Jurewicz), took first over the relay team from Loras College by only two one-hundredths of a second.

“We went into the race not knowing what to expect, since it was the first time that we all ran together. With a time of 1:30.82, coach Rotzenberg was pretty pleased,” Mertens said.

Jurewicz added that their performance placed them in a good position for the WIAC Championship Meet Feb. 28.

Senior Olivia Bukowski came in third place for the women’s one-mile run with a time of 5:32.87, and junior Jason Henkins placed first in the men’s one-mile run with a time at 4:27.94.

In the men’s 60-meter hurdles, seniors TJ Valley (8.19) and Patrick Kessenich (8.44) placed first and fourth, respectively.

Senior Stephanie Wyss finished third at 9.74 in the women’s 60-meter hurdles.

In the 60-meter dash, sophomore Mitchell Dowell ran with a time of 7.06 for third place, and freshman Krysta Parson took second at 8.16 for the women’s 60-meter dash.

Dowell also placed second for the men’s 200-meter dash with a time of 22.58.

Junior Lynea Axelson (2:18.67) finished first in the women’s 800-meter run.

Sophomore Keira Depies earned third place for the women’s 3,000-meter run at 10:59.30.

“I look forward to resting up the next few weeks for conference,” Depies said.

Ian LaMere (8:31.57) claimed the top spot for the men’s 3,000-meter run.